As we are all aware, when the snow comes it can create havoc with transport communications. Under such circumstances it is often very difficult for the staff who live several miles away to get into school for the start of the day. As such, in the event of extreme weather we operate a “Snow Plan” which ensures that all the pupils are looked after and are safe.
In recent years, there have been a few occasions when the school has had to close as a result of extreme weather conditions. This page outlines the actions that will be taken should this scenario occur again.
As soon as a decision to close school is taken, information will be posted on the school website and a message sent to parents via the School Gateway app or a text message for those without the app.
Regular updates will be posted on the school website and the school’s Twitter feed.
When the decision to close the school is taken after the start of the school day, we are unable to contact all parents to seek permission to send their son/s home. Therefore, please take note of the information below and discuss with your son/s the actions to be taken before such a situation occurs. By doing so, you and your son/s will be fully aware and confident about what will happen, and where your son/s will be, in the event of extreme weather closure.
Our suggestions are these:
- Please inform your son/s where he must go if he is sent home from school. This could be home or to a relative or friends. In addition, please emphasise to your son/s the need to act sensibly and not endanger others.
- If you wish your son/s to remain in school until someone can pick him up then we will look after him.
- If we have to close the school we will make sure that every child is given a letter explaining the circumstances.
- You will receive a message to your mobile phone via the School Gateway app or a text message if you do not have the app. Announcements will be posted on the school website and the school’s Twitter feed. Please ensure school is aware of any changes to contact numbers, this can be done via the School Gateway app or the SIMS Parent app.
- Once home, your son/s can immediately switch to remote learning through our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). Where the school is closed prior to the start of a school day learning will switch to our home-school blended learning model. Information regarding Blended Learning can be found on the school website - https://www.westhillschool.co.uk/covid-19-coronavirus/blended-learning To support this, pupils are expected to check their emails for information at 8.45am and 3pm each day and, using their timetable, follow their lessons on the VLE.
Throughout any period of extreme weather, please visit the school website on a regular basis for up-to-date information.