West Hill School was formerly one of the homes of the Harrison family, one of the prominent cotton manufacturing families of the area. The head of the family was Thomas Harrison who built Thompson Cross House, which was at that period one of the finest modern mansions in the district. The family company was Thomas Harrison and Sons and consisted of Mr. Harrison as the head, and his four sons, William, David, Abel, and Allen. William Harrison built West Hill in the 1850s, and his brother Abel built Highfield House (the grounds of which now make up Stamford Park).
West Hill was purchased by the Corporation in 1922 and was formally opened as West Hill Council School, a boys' school, on the 24th March 1927, and consisted of ten classrooms, five on each floor, it opened for pupils for the first time on the 29th April 1927 with 278 boys and 3 girls on the role.
Since this the school has developed considerably over the years by increasing the facilities on offer including the addition of more ICT suites and science laboratories and a purpose built sports centre which is used extensively by the local community.